Clark Retirement Community was founded in 1906, and for more than 100 years has created a community of dignity, compassion and respect centered on the lives of older adults and those who care for them. Clark provides a full continuum of care to residents in Grand Rapids, and also provides services to people throughout the greater Grand Rapids community.
Clark was originally founded as a home for retired Methodist ministers, thanks to the generosity of Melvin and Emily Clark. It has grown and expanded over the years to embrace approximately 500 residents on two campuses, with over 400 staff. Clark is an ecumenical community, welcoming people from all walks of life and all faith backgrounds.
Major milestones in Clark’s history include:
- 1906: first residents arrive in October to the M.J. Clark Memorial Home for the Aged.
- 1944: number of residents reaches 100 for the first time.
- 1952: new chapel is dedicated.
- 1968: West wing rebuilt.
- 1973: East wing rebuilt.
- 1991: officially renamed to Clark Retirement Community.
- 1995: grand opening of the Fred M. Keller Center.
- 2001: purchase of Clark on Keller Lake.
- 2006: centennial anniversary.
- 2014: re-opening of the Baker-Kendrick Room.
- 2014: grand opening of the Donna Chase Gallery.
- 2014: grand opening of Whitten Park & Gardens at Clark on Keller Lake.
- 2015: grand opening of the Harold Kilbourne Center.